Oct

openSUSE @ ASUS Transformer

This is going to be just a brief blog post with one important image. You probably all already know that there is bunch of people in openSUSE community who are working on getting ARM supported by distribution. And you probably already seen many blog posts about how great it is working. Well this is one of them. I’m happy owner of ASUS Transformer machine. As a geek I have root on my android machine. And since not long time ago, I also had a Debian chroot there to be able to run my favorite applications. But not any more. I replaced my Debian chroot with openSUSE one and now I can use zypper happily and forget everything about apt-get.
How did I did that? I started with a simple package in obs, changed BuildRequires to the set of packages I wanted to have, run osc build armv7l standard and after osc created chroot for me, I just took it away. And fixed few things after switching to it on my Transformer. I’m still missing some packages, but hopefully they will be available soon ;-)

8 comments

1. Clark says:

Do you have an OpenSuSE image ready for the TF?

1. Michal Hrušecký says:

Not yet, it is highly experimental and chroot only, but I’ll write some how to after few experiments ;-)

2. Robert Kaiser says:

If you get an easy way of running an openSUSE installed somehow in parallel to Android on the TF, I’d be happy to test that!

1. Michal Hrušecký says:

Ok, as as people got interested and wanted something to play with here it is ;-)

1. Robert Kaiser says:

I probably won’t get into it right away, but I’ll watch Planet openSUSE carefully and try it once it’s a bit farther along (I’m not too much of a developer and already busy with a ton of other things – and I only have the tablet for being able to test Mozilla stuff on it). Thanks for working on this!

1. Michal Hrušecký says:

Well, there is still a long way before we will start working on building Firefox for openSUSE on ARM :-D But that day will come one day for sure ;-)

3. Vojta says:

Any news? :-) A’d like to have openSUSE on my TF300T, may be together with Android. Well, if everything works, there is basically no need for keeping Android. ;-)

1. Michal Hrušecký says:

I kinda settled on having it in chroot as most of my usage involves only terminal, so doesn’t matter much to me whether I have that one full screen terminal window opened in GNU/Linux or Android as long as I have all tools I need available….